When you’re gambling online, you need to make sure that your personal information is safe and protected from various forms of online threats. Hence, it is important to make sure your chosen online casino is covering all bases when it comes to security. Here we’ll take a look at some of the security features used by internet casinos to guide you in making the best decisions for placing online bets.
Security measures adopted by online casinos
Reputable online casinos – including all the ones we recommend – employ multiple security measures to ensure protection and privacy of personal information for their customers. This is done in several ways:
- Encryption: Encryption is a vital web technology used in many industries, including online gambling. The technology used in encryption makes it impossible for hackers to steal personal or credit card related information from the casino servers because the information is encoded in a way that can only be decrypted using a secure key. In other words, even if hackers got hold of the information from the server, it would be useless to them because they would not be able to decrypt it. The two most common forms of encryption are SSL and TSL technology, both of which offer a high level of security and data privacy to online customers. Most banks and financial institutions also use these encryption methods.
- HTTPS: HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure. This is the way your internet browser uses SSL and TSL to communicate via a secure connection. You might have noticed a small icon resembling a lock at the bottom of the screen when browsing casino sites. This represents 128-bit SSL or TSL encryption technology, which means your personal and financial information are completely safe and secure when using that online casino site.
- Financial records information: Being able to track your spending as you play and over the long-term, is important to many people. Most reputable casino companies offer complete assistance to their customers by recording all the details of their financial transactions. This makes it easy for you to access and retrieve such information (which is again protected using the SSL encryption method) anytime you want.
- Anti-virus software: Many online casinos use anti-virus software to guard against spyware, harmful viruses, malware and internet worms. Most reputable online casino companies available for Australian players employ security solutions that will ensure your computer is not infected with any viruses or malware as a result of downloading and using the casino software. Additionally, in order to do your part in terms of responsible gambling, it is important as a double security measure to have a good anti-virus software installed on your PC or Mac.
- Clearly stated security policy: Part of security is being aboveboard. That means you want the online casino you choose to tell you what you’re getting, upfront, in a clear manner. All reputable gambling sites prominently display their company’s privacy and security policy online. This allows you to read through the online casino’s security information carefully before signing up for using such services, and check back whenever the need occurs.
Online casinos function similarly to any form of online shopping, with credit card protection and privacy security in place. Still, it is always worth being extra diligent when your money is on the line.
The use of encryption and anti-fraud detection software has helped Aussie players to gamble safely across different online gambling sites and reap huge rewards as a result. There’s no need to be paranoid about the security of most online casinos (and certainly not the ones we recommend), but if in doubt, it’s a good idea to check their security and privacy statements to be extra sure.